Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hola Chi-Town



White out – 747 – where’s ole Chicago town?

Big city lights replace double-door saloons
         And a bourbon on the rocks at quarter past noon
         Might ease the pain if I can’t get a room
         Damn this windy city, keep me sane

Bright horizon – 747 – here comes Chicago town

Western buttes meat Eastern ties and suits
         Where high-heels and skirts trump beanies and boots
         Blackberries, laptops, palm pilots and tight wads
         Must be the low elevation, not me that’s odd

Strobe-light ice – 747 – hola chi-town

Show me jazz and show me Wilco, trumpets and overtones
         Not watered-down suburbs, CEO’s and street drones
         The air is as old as the grass is fake
         Why haven’t these robots made the great escape?

O’Hare nightmare – 24/7 – good ole chi-town

Da bears, da bulls, loud talkers spread the news
         Muddy, Buddy and BB are kings of the blues
         If the music doesn’t save me, I’m still amused
         ‘Cause I actually like this city – I’m just weary and bruised 

- Aaron Davis 

Aaron Davis is an award-winning songwriter, journalist, and photographer. His local bands Screen Porch Door and Aaron Davis & The Docks perform regularly in the region.

No comments:

Post a Comment